Ten internationally-renowned business and government leaders to advise company on global expansion
NANAIMO, B.C. – Tilray, Inc. (NASDAQ:TLRY), a global pioneer in cannabis production and distribution, today announced the formation of its International Advisory Board, an esteemed group of business and government leaders who will provide guidance to Tilray’s executive team and Board of Directors as the company pursues its aggressive global growth strategy.
“We are honored to welcome this impressive group of distinguished leaders to the Tilray team,” says Brendan Kennedy, Tilray CEO. “As we pioneer the future of our industry around the world, the experts on our International Advisory Board will advise us on our rapidly expanding global business.”
Inaugural members of Tilray’s International Advisory Board include:
· Governor Howard Dean is a former Democratic National Committee (DNC) Chairman, presidential candidate, six-term Governor of Vermont, and physician. Gov. Dean is also the founder of Democracy for America, a lecturer at Yale University and a strategic consultant for the global law firm Dentons.
· Michael Steele made history when he was elected Lieutenant Governor of Maryland in 2003, as the first African American elected to statewide office; and again, with his subsequent chairmanship of the Republican National Committee (RNC). Under Mr. Steele’s leadership the RNC broke fundraising records and led Republicans to win 63 House seats in 2010, the biggest pick-up since 1938. Mr. Steele is an accomplished author and media commentator.
· The Honourable Lloyd Axworthy P.C., C.C., O.M., is the chair of the World Refugee Council and one of Canada’s leading voices on global migration and refugee protection. Throughout his 27-year political career, he served as Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of Employment and Immigration, among other postings.
· Joschka Fischer served as Foreign Minister and Vice Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany. He is a member of the Executive Board of the European Council on Foreign Relations. Mr. Fischer also currently serves as Managing Partner of Joschka Fischer & Company, a global strategy firm, where he advises clients on issues relating to Germany and the European Union.
· Jaime Gama is the longest-serving Portuguese Minister of Foreign Affairs. Over a distinguished career in public policy, Mr. Gama served as Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Home Affairs, Minister of Defense, and Minister of State. He was a member of the Government in 2001 when Portugal approved its decriminalization and harm reduction drug policy. He was elected Member of Parliament and served as the Speaker of the Parliament. Mr. Gama serves as the chairman of a bank and of a private foundation.
· The Honourable Alexander John Gosse Downer, AC, was the longest-serving Minister for Foreign Affairs in Australia in history, holding his position for ten years. He also served has High Commissioner to the United Kingdom. Mr. Downer was a diplomat in the Department of Foreign Affairs, serving in the Australian Mission to the European Union, the Australian Representation to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and at Australian embassies in Belgium and Luxembourg.
· Rt Hon Sir Donald McKinnon, ONZ, GCVO, was New Zealand’s longest serving Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade and held the portfolios of Disarmament and Arms Control, Veteran’s Affairs, War Pensions, and Pacific Island Affairs. Mr. McKinnon served as Deputy Prime Minister, Leader of the House and was appointed a member of Her Majesty’s Privy Council. He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in initiating and overseeing the ceasefire between Bougainvilleans and the Papua New Guinea Government in 1997.
· María Lorena Gutiérrez Botero served as Minister of Commerce, Industry and Tourism, as well as Ambassador of Colombia to Germany, as a member of President Juan Manuel Santos’ government. Ms. Gutiérrez has served as a member of numerous boards of directors of international organizations and universities, such as the European Foundation for Management Development, the Sumaq Alliance, the Latin American Council of Administration Schools, the Business Association for Latin American Studies and the Quality Corporation of Colombia.
· James O’Brien served two U.S. administrations as Special Presidential Envoy. Mr. O’Brien has been Senior Advisor to the U.S. Secretary of State and served as the Principal Deputy Director of Policy Planning at the State Department. Mr. O’Brien currently serves as Vice Chair of Albright Stonebridge Group (ASG) and heads up the firm’s practice in Europe.
· Dr. Lorna Marsden is a former Canadian Senator from Ontario who was appointed to the position by former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau. She served in the Senate for eight and a half years, where she was a member of the Standing Committee on National Finance and chairwoman of the Standing Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology. Dr. Marsden also served as President and Vice-Chancellor of York University and President and Vice-Chancellor of Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario.